Mat’s Work at KKOS Lawyers
- I have focused my legal practice on helping clients use self-directed retirement accounts to invest in assets they know. These clients routinely invest in real estate, crypto, private companies/funds, start-ups, and small businesses. In addition to advising self-directed investors, I have also represented banks, private fund managers, and trust companies on self-directed retirement issues.
- I have established thousands of LLCs, IRA/LLCs, solo 401(k)s, and s-corporations for my clients and take care to ensure that their legal, tax, and business/investment objectives are fully considered.
- My legal practice at KKOS Lawyers is limited and I spend most of my time at the firm managing firm operations and training our lawyers and staff. We have a robust self-directed retirement practice at the firm and more than 10 practicing lawyers with experience in advising clients with self-directed IRAs and 401(k)s.
- University of Maryland School of Law, Juris Doctor
- University of Utah, BS, Economics
- U.S. Tax Court
Outside of KKOS
- I am the co-founder and CEO of Directed IRA by Directed Trust Company, where we serve as custodian of self-directed retirement accounts and have processed over one billion in self-directed IRA investments.
- My book, The Self-Directed IRA Handbook, has sold 35,000 copies, was an Amazon Best-Seller, and is the most widely used book in the self-directed IRA industry. In addition to being used by tens of thousands of self-directed IRA and 401(k) investors, it is also used by the Retirement Industry Trust Association as primary curriculum for industry professionals to receive the Certified Self-Directed IRA Professional(SDIP) designation.
- VIP Contributor, Entrepreneur, Visit My Author Page
- Expert Author, Cryptopedia, Visit My Author Page
- In addition to my writing, I have been quoted, cited, or referenced by The Wall Street Journal, Forbes, Yahoo Finance, and Entrepreneur on tax, legal, and retirement topics.
- I am the co-host of two podcasts along with my partner Mark J. Kohler – The Main Street Business Podcast (over 1.7M downloads), The Directed IRA Podcast (100k downloads).
- I am the host of The Self-Directed IRA Summit, a conference dedicated to training self-directed investors and other professionals on self-directed rules, strategies, and structures.
- I have consulted state banking regulators and the U.S. Government Accountability Office (who issued two reports on self-directed IRAs for Congress) on issues relating to self-directed retirement accounts.
- I have appeared on affiliate network TV on Fox and ABC as a retirement account expert.
- Board Member, Individual Retirement Rights Association
- Board Member, The Coalition for American Retirement
- Board Member, the Foundation for Entrepreneurship and Financial Literacy
- Mat tries to maintain his youth by racing mountain and road bikes. He also loves to ski and is a former ski instructor.
- You can learn more about Mat and his work at www.matsorensen.com.