Michael J. OstermillerPartner (435)586-9366
Mr. Ostermiller is currently a partner at Kyler, Kohler, Ostermiller and Sorensen, LLP (KKOS). Since joining KKOS in 2002, Mike’s practice has emphasized legislative advocacy, lobbying and local government affairs. Together with Chris Kyler, Mike is now the registered lobbyist and legislative advocate for a wide array of prestigious and diversified clients representing policy areas such as real estate, construction, health care, small businesses, utilities, large corporations, education, construction design, finance, land- use and development, appropriations, land-fill/waste disposal, tax policy and think tanks. Mike has been recognized by Utah Business magazine as one of Utah’s Legal Elite in the areas of government affairs and real estate. Philosophy In forming the nucleus of the KKOS Lobbying team, Mr. Ostermiller and Mr. Kyler are committed to represent their clients in an honest and professional manner.
They have built their practice on the foundation that winning is everything. Their clients come to them and stay with them because they win. Simply put, they do not like to lose, and their records show it. Community Involvement In addition to maintaining an extremely busy and successful practice, Mr. Ostermiller has always made it a priority to serve in the community.
The following are some examples of his recent and current involvement:
- Adjunct Professor, Dixie State College and Weber State University
- Co-Chair, State of Utah Property Ombudsmen Board
- Co-Chair, Utah Land Use Institute
- Board Member, Military Installation Development Authority (MIDA)(Appointed by Senate President and Speaker of the House)
- Layton City Board of Adjustment
- Chairman of the Board, Affordable Land Lease Homes
- Kaysville City Economic Development Advisory Committee
- Co-Chair, Davis County Economic Advisory Council
- Board of Directors, Davis Applied Technology College Business Incubation Center
- Legislative Committee member, Davis County and Weber County Chamber of Commerce
- Board of Directors, Stringham Real Estate School
- Davis County Strategic Planning Committee
- Congressman Rob Bishop, Fundraising and Policy Advisory Committee
Background Michael Ostermiller graduated magna cum laude from the University of Utah with degrees in Philosophy and Political Science. Mike was on the Deans list numerous times and won the prestigious University President’s Award in 1995. He then obtained a Law Degree from the J. Reuben Clark School of Law at Brigham Young University. During law school, Mike won the School Trial Advocacy and Moot Court Competition. He also placed 2nd at the National Mock Trial competition in Philadelphia PA.
Mike was the recipient of the award for outstanding legal research and writing, and he was one of only a handful of law students in the country chosen for the Order of Barristers. Upon graduating from law school, Mike practiced law in St. George, Utah and Las Vegas, Nevada. During his time in St. George and Las Vegas, Mikes practice was extremely diverse in its scope, but focused mostly on civil litigation and real-estate law. Mike currently resides in Kaysville, Utah with his wife and four children. He coaches all four of his kids in basketball, football, soccer, baseball, softball and Lacrosse. In his spare time, he enjoys running, playing basketball and competing in slalom water skiing.